DEPT/PROGRAM: DD Waiver Dept #3
REPORTS TO: DOH/DD Service Coordinator
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: Working closely with individuals with developmental disabilities to manage within their home, to maintain their highest level of independence in maintaining their household and to integrate and participate within the community. Ensure the health and safety of individuals served. Complete all necessary paperwork.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist clients in their family homes or independent living environment in acquiring skills and/or completing activities of daily living
- Assist with any or all of the following: meal preparation, shopping, cleaning, laundry, personal care; money management skills, banking, budgeting, bill payment, identification and value of currency denominations
- Assist individuals with daily functioning and activities as needed to encourage community activity
- Implementation of the ISP and support client’s needs
- Assist and teach program participants in obtaining necessary information or support in filling out and responding to any paperwork and/or attending any appointments deemed necessary to maintain their support system
- Support individual to create connections within the community
- Work one on one with individuals in activities within the community to encourage and facilitate participation.
- Assist participants as needed in all activities including positioning, ambulating and personal hygiene.
- Complete all necessary paperwork
- Must have an automobile at his/her disposal; a valid, non-suspended NM driver’s license and a current automobile liability policy and continuations coverage
- Will work flexible hours including evenings and weekends as necessary to meet client needs and schedules.
- Upholds agency safety, confidentiality and policy standards
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains all required documentation in the individuals’ files.
- Must be able to handle medical and behavioral problems as they may arise with individuals. Must also maintain a positive impression of La Vida services within the community.
- Makes recommendations to CILC, CIEL &/or Director of DD Services on possible modifications to improve and expand services , supports and community based activities
- Attends all agency meetings as well as state training, information sessions and public meetings applicable to the program.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe program area.
- Able to transport individuals in personal vehicle
- Perform all other duties as assigned/requested as able
- High School Diploma or GED
- 6 months to a year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 18 years of age or older
- Knowledge and understanding of the DD Waiver Standards
- Must maintain CPR, First Aid and other trainings/certifications as required
- Demonstrable organizational skills, including time management.
- Requires effective oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
- English/Spanish bi-lingual a plus.
- Must maintain confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA, LVF policy and state and federal law.
- Ability to participate as a team member in a flexible and cooperative manner
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- The physical environment changes as the services delivered are scheduled. It could be indoors at an individual’s home or within the community at general community locations. Some noise and interruptions are present.
- Must be able to manipulate and operate office supplies and equipment.
- Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds
- May require need for flexible schedules, including occasional evening and weekend work
- An automobile at his/her disposal; a valid, non-suspended NM driver’s license and a current automobile liability policy and continuous coverage
- Must pass a pre-employment background check
- No substantiation or criminal conviction of abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Travel within the state and out-of-state may be required