POSITION SUMMARY: Adheres to New Mexico PreK program and standards to provide a high quality PreK experience for three and four-year-old students. Assists the Lead Teacher in a supportive role conducting developmentally appropriate activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist the PreK Lead Teacher in establishing an environment which will stimulate a desire for learning, independence and self-esteem for children and families.
2. Actively participate in all aspects of classroom teaching and support the lead teacher in lesson planning
3. Assist the lead teacher with child individualizations while maintaining program and children’s records. Assist with recording observations of children as part of the ongoing assessment practices. Assist with creating child portfolios.
4. Actively participate in family involvement activities including family-teacher conferences, classroom activities and other agency events. Encourage parent and community participation
5. Assist the lead teacher in providing appropriate screenings of children as required by NM PreK standards.
6. Ensures the daily care of every child by following licensing guidelines and adhering to agency policies
OTHER JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Participates in mandatory NM PreK professional development opportunities
Attend agency and program meetings as directed
Perform all other duties as assigned by Early Learning Center Manager
ROLE QUALIFICATIONS:Education Requirements
• Preferred, associate degree in Early Childhood Education with an Associate of Early Education certificate or
• Must be taking credit-bearing college course work toward an associate degree in Early Childhood Education
Mixed Age PreK Educational Assistant Page 2
• Minimum of 1 year of teaching experience preferred
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Exhibits strong organizational skills and time management as well as the ability to keep student data and anecdotal records on students’ learning progress.
• Must be creative and flexible in order to respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities.
• Requires current knowledge of principles and practices of early childhood and PreK standards
• Must maintain CPR, First Aid and other trainings/certifications as required.
• Must maintain confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA, LVF policy, state, and federal law.
• English/Spanish bi-lingual a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
• Must be able to manipulate and operate office supplies and equipment. Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds
• Requires need for flexible schedules, including occasional evening and weekend work.
• Must be comfortable with providing home visiting services in the child’s natural environment, to include home, childcare settings, and community.
• An automobile at his/her disposal; a valid, non-suspended NM driver’s license and a current automobile liability policy and continuous coverage
• Must pass a pre-employment background check
• No substantiation or criminal conviction of child abuse or neglect
• Travel within the state and out-of-state may be required